GERMAN CHAMOMILE – THE STAR OF THE MEDICINAL SPECIES
When most of us think of chamomile, we probably picture cuddling up with a piping hot cup of tea in our cosiest jumper. But this little marvel isn’t only for upset tummies or unwinding before bedtime.
German chamomile, or Matricaria recutita, is part of the Asteraceae family and these daisy-like flowers thrive in southern and eastern Europe. It has been used in herbal remedies for thousands of years across Egypt, Greece, Rome and India, and was considered sacred by the Anglo Saxons; in fact, the Germans call it ‘alles zutraut’ meaning that it is ‘capable of anything!’
Nowadays, the essential oil of the plant is widely used in the cosmetic and therapeutic industries. You’ll notice that it even stars in our very own Super Serum.
But what are the benefits of incorporating this miracle flower into your skincare regime?
1. Acts as an anti-inflammatory – vasoconstrictor properties reduce the appearance of flushing, blotchy skin and redness, and rosacea.
2. Provides soothing relief from skin irritations – contains the active ingredient Bisabolol (which is also found in cortisone creams) which penetrates deep beneath the skin to help ease and calm skin irritations, even conditions such as dermatitis and eczema.
3. Regenerative – also contains Matricin which strengthens damaged skin. This aids in the healing of blemishes such as dark patches, hyperpigmentation, and acne scars.
4. Acne fighting - contains several antibacterial compounds that defend the skin from toxins and bacteria. German Chamomile also has numerous, powerful antioxidant components which help to detoxify the skin from harmful pollutants.
5. Balancing – Regulates the natural production of sebum and supports homeostasis within the skin’s deeper layers.
6. Moisturising – the high levels of fatty acids in the essential oil act as excellent hydrators for the skin.
No wonder it’s the ‘star of the medicinal species!’ Definitely earned a spot on our guest list.
Treat yourself to Health